[Diy_efi] Tuning Ignition Advance...

Brian McMahan BMcMahan
Wed Apr 13 12:14:37 UTC 2005

I was thinking more like 11.8-12.2 AFR personally. As for the timing I
do agree with the .75-1 deg increment subtraction/psi..

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]
On Behalf Of Michael Richards
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:54 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Diy_efi] Tuning Ignition Advance...

Hi guys,

I live in an area where there are only 3 shops/people who tune ECUs. I
normally start with a very conservative ignition map, about 0.75-1
degree off stock timing for every PSI of boost. Once complete I ramp up
ignition with det cans to within a few degrees of peak torque.
Obviously I stay away from pinging. So from experience I have a good
feel for how much advance to use. I normally tune on the street but
rent a dyno for the higher horsepower cars.

Now there is another tuner in my area and he has a dyno. I've re-tuned
a number of his setups. I've frequently seen situations where a 9:1
engine with a big turbo is fuelled on the rich side but the ignition
advance is really really low. I'm talking 7-8 degrees of advance at 10
PSI.

One engine I'm re-tuning right now is a 4G64 in an Eclipse. My instinct
says it should be running about 15-18 degrees at 4000 RPM but I haven't
started inching it up there yet. 7-8 seems completely wrong.

I'm wondering what you guys think about the ignition tuning. I've
always felt a "conservative map" was one with timing a few degrees off
MBT and fuel around 11.2:1 or so around peak torque. Now 10.2:1 and 10
degrees off on the timing sounds silly to me.

-Michael