[Diy_efi] Tuning Ignition Advance...

TheEthereal at gmx.net TheEthereal
Wed Apr 13 14:19:49 UTC 2005

Yay, this is my first post. :) So please don't flame me when I did something
wrong posting in here. :-?

First I HAVE to say I'm no turbo expert. So take my advice w/ a grain of
salt. Coming from a Mitsu background, I think you could run even a bit more
timing than 15 deg. 18 degs sound more suitable to me. I think you could
also enlean up to 12.0:1 but I'd rather stay safe and use 11.5:1 as a safety
margin.
BTW, what 4G64 is that? Does it still have its stock cast pistons or custom
pistons? Is it a DOHC conversion? I'd say the DOHC engines can use a tad
more spark advance as their combustion chamber design allows for that. And
if it's a DOHC conversion, what's it static compression ratio now?

> Hi guys,
>
> I live in an area where there are only 3 shops/people who tune ECUs. I
> normally start with a very conservative ignition map, about 0.75-1
> degree off stock timing for every PSI of boost. Once complete I ramp up
> ignition with det cans to within a few degrees of peak torque.
> Obviously I stay away from pinging. So from experience I have a good
> feel for how much advance to use. I normally tune on the street but
> rent a dyno for the higher horsepower cars.
>
> Now there is another tuner in my area and he has a dyno. I've re-tuned
> a number of his setups. I've frequently seen situations where a 9:1
> engine with a big turbo is fuelled on the rich side but the ignition
> advance is really really low. I'm talking 7-8 degrees of advance at 10
> PSI.
>
> One engine I'm re-tuning right now is a 4G64 in an Eclipse. My instinct
> says it should be running about 15-18 degrees at 4000 RPM but I haven't
> started inching it up there yet. 7-8 seems completely wrong.
>
> I'm wondering what you guys think about the ignition tuning. I've
> always felt a "conservative map" was one with timing a few degrees off
> MBT and fuel around 11.2:1 or so around peak torque. Now 10.2:1 and 10
> degrees off on the timing sounds silly to me.
>
> -Michael

+++ NEU: GMX DSL_Flatrate! Schon ab 14,99 EUR/Monat! +++

GMX Garantie: Surfen ohne Tempo-Limit! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl