[Diy_efi] Reset ECM after replacing airbag?

WopOnTour wopontour
Fri Apr 15 01:57:36 UTC 2005

rgr tht
I re-read it and see what was meant by the statement- aplols all around.
We've always pulled both cables off and connected them together with a 3/8
nut and walked away... This is because of the P0440 fiasco where this
technique was used to clear certain latched behaviors (not DTCs) in some of
the early 1995-96 OBDII boxes. You would sometimes have to leave them
connected for an hour or so before they would  corectly reinitiate the
diagnostic routine for the EVAP. While it's twice the work it's much less
tiresome than standing there for an hour. lol
Regards
WOT

----- Original Message -----
From: "jb" <jonnbell at gmail.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 6:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Reset ECM after replacing airbag?

all you're doing by putting the positive cable on ground somewhere is
discharging capacitors,etc in the system.  there is no possibility for
smoke if the battery is no longer connected.  this is a standard way
of clearing 'soft' codes on a car.  disconnecting both would work as
well, i guess, but whats the point of doing twice the work?