[Diy_efi] Responses from John Deakin (long!)

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Sat Apr 16 21:10:09 UTC 2005

In case anyone is terribly interested, I emailed links
to the thread via archives, as well as forwarding him
my last email to the list on the subject.  Here is his
reply, my reply to that, and his final reply (edited
for extraneous/personal content).  Looking forward to
receiving a copy of his book.

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Adam Wade" <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Diy_efi] false myths
To: jdeakin at advancedpilot.com

Well, I forwarded this to you on the AvWeb site, but
thought I'd send it this way, too, as I prefer real
email anyhow.  :)  Hope you get a chance to peek at my
book (you're in the acknowledgements; maybe we can
trade books!).  And don't take my criticisms too
personally; Gary here was asserting some things about
the physics of combustion, and made reference to your
Pelican's Perch stuff as his justifications for his
beliefs.  You can find his original post here, where
he claims there's no such thing as lean misfire, that
lean running without more spark advance raises EGT
*and* CHT (IME, it should be the former but not the
latter) and that quickest flame propagation = most
power (quickest flame propagation would be detonation,
which ain't best power!):
<http://www.diy-efi.org/pipermail/diy_efi/2005-March/000100.html>

He was replied to by a professional combustion
researcher and engineer, which started a flame war
between him and the engineer:
<http://www.diy-efi.org/pipermail/diy_efi/2005-March/000103.html>
and
<http://www.diy-efi.org/pipermail/diy_efi/2005-March/000104.html>

Here's where he referenced you:
<http://www.diy-efi.org/pipermail/diy_efi/2005-April/000118.html>

My response:
<http://www.diy-efi.org/pipermail/diy_efi/2005-April/000121.html>

And his specific references:
<http://www.diy-efi.org/pipermail/diy_efi/2005-April/000122.html>

Many of my complaints are his extrapolating your
comments on the specific environment found in a
four-cycle engine's combustion chamber during normal
operation into rules about how fuel and air behave as
absolutes, in any setting.  That doesn't work.  But
there are a few things that could be honed a bit, if
you cared to (the end point is the same from a pilot's
perspective, whether he/she knows the physics behind
it or not!).  Thanks for keeping us all thinking and
learning!

*snip repost of my last post to the list on this
subject*

This is his initial reply...  Here he generally seems
to get confused, thinking that my writing is not mine,
and him criticizing my writing as if I had reposted
someone else's writing to him.  We clear that up later
on.