[Diy_efi] Air fuel meters - slighlty OT from some time now

Gianmarco Rizzo BE/EAS gianmarco.rizzo
Mon Apr 18 09:44:38 UTC 2005

its VERY hard to break traction on a 4wd car and on dry tarmac. thats why these cars feel like they dont accelerate, but use a stopwatch and things will change.

my delta integrale with 210bhp does 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds. thats quick, for a standard trim roadcar. still, no wheelspin, smoke etc., even in 1st gear. usually, what smokes in these cases is not the tires but the clutch....pretty expensive.

these sophisticated AWD cars have different behavior than the 2wd hot rod or muscle car.
simply, they are not designed for standing starts. clutch and trasmission will suffer, and will eventually break, even on a standard car.

modern tendency is to tune these cars for guidability. we are not all into quarter mile competition. i could fit a garrett T72 to my car, and obtain huge power, but a risible powerband, and would be virtually unusable on the road, except for traffic light blasts. personally, i am not interested in spec tuning, i want an usable engine. i have driven some turbo cars with lots of power, but so much lag you needed a calendar to measure it. if i wanna feel the "kick in the butt" acceleration feeling, i'd rather order some massive elastic band or rocket from ACME  ;-)