[Diy_efi] Re: Burning Aluminum etc.

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Mon Apr 18 13:24:45 UTC 2005

I'm kind of jumping in the middle here but you're mentioning holes in
pistons and appearance of aluminum disappearing on failed pistons.  It
actually sounds more like pre-ignition than detonation.  Pre-ignition of
course is caused by some hot-spot in the cylinder. The combustion can
actually start during the later stages of the intake stroke, pressure starts
rising dramatically once the intake valve closes.  The pressures and
temperatures reached are extremely high, completely capable of
melting-vaporizing aluminum.  The typical final failure is a hole in the
piston since the high heat has softened the piston crown and with
ridiculously high pressures, the weakest point of the soft piston crown
gives way in the form of a hole.  Don't think this heating takes long, it
can happen very quickly under load and there might not be any specific
noises like detonation knocks to make you aware of a problem.

Detonation as you have been discussing normally shows a more "impact" style
failure when breaking parts, typically ring lands  cracked off etc.

So my vote is for pre-ignition if your used pistons are showing loss of
metal.

A lot of people lump pre-ignition and detonation together but they are two
different processes and usually have different symptoms.

My comments above are based on what I've read not on my own lab tests and no
I can't cite the text.

You mentioned pilots setting fuel mixtures by EGT.  This works in their case
because so few variables are at play, the procedure in this case has been
tested in the manufacturer's engine cells and verified to produce the
desired results.  Also, keep in mind the more common of these engine don't
make very high Hp per cubic inch; normally .67 Hp/Cid for NA and just over 1
HP/Cid for turbo engines.

Interesting discussion.

Dan Nicoson