[Diy_efi] RE: [offlist] Strain gauge on engine mounts

Marc Reviel marc
Wed Apr 20 20:46:01 UTC 2005

>>(Hmm...maybe a laser pointed at teeth and detecting the
>>reflection/back-scatter, or even precisely painted bars on the
>>driveshaft itself?)
>
>Now thats even more interesting, wish I'd thought of it ~`:o)
>
>You can get these silver reflective strips that come with optical
>tachos, then rig up a pair of keychain type led laser modules to shine the
>light, sensors are cheap and could be easily collimated if need be,
>any wobble is likely to not be differential in nature and any that
>is would likely be filtered out. Of course one would have a processor
>taking samples, discarding outlyers and applying some low pass
>filtering, neat, could be cheap and fairly easy to install I guess,

Well, the more I think about it, the more it's clear it would have to
be a prism or precision mirrors -- something to create repeatable,
sharp "edges", from marker to marker. Ultimately we're measuring the
time between difference ring's edges, and the sharper the edges are
the better to reduce jitter.  BUT, one could simply mount almost any
series of reflective material, as long as it was *repeatable* pattern
throughout the 360 degree rotation.  Then you could "train" the micro
on whatever the pattern it creates during it's "learn-mode" for a
master timing reference table. Perhaps adding a separate sync sensor
that detected the same single point on each rotation to help the
micro along, kinda like a TDC detection for ECUs.

I guess we could ask Bruce to include a new function in
UltraMegaSquirt - or create "MegaTorque." ;)

Too bad we can't use the existing crank trigger wheel as found in
many cars for ring 1.  Clutch or torque converter decouple them from
the driveshaft. :(

>I have vision of large wide multisegment linear led display across
>whole driver
>side dash streaming from left to right as one accelerates or pulls a caravan,
>I think the tractor pullers could even get telemetry and wow the crowds with
>a huge torque competition prize and large vertical segment displays at night !

Uh oh, finally a metric for the tractor pull competitions beyond a
"full-pull." ;)

--
Marc Reviel

PowerLogix