[Diy_efi] 2005 GM Vortec 4200 I-6 ECM

Rick Frey rfrey at iupui.edu
Tue Aug 16 15:49:27 UTC 2005

At 08:13 AM 8/16/2005, you wrote:
>On 8/13/05, Brien Tourville <hh7x at verizon.net> wrote:

I have one of these in my gmc envoy and have fallen so in love with it i
want to replace the iron duke in my 75 chevy shortbed, turboed of
course.  This motor, being an I-6, is silky smooth and the modern valve
train allows it to breath nicely, no complaints at all.

What issue of hot rod was that article?

Do you have the issue?  if so,

         what did he do for cams, pistons, rods and ecm?

anyone aware of any performance shops or parts for this engine?

This is a long stroke motor that runs 10:1 compression ratio on 87 octane,
so that tells me the head was designed to ward off detonation.  both the
head configuration and long stroke (narrower bore) should be excellent
choice for a turbo application.

There is rumored to be a variable lift valve train in the future, if that
happens, i can't imagine a better engine to hot rod for a driveable street
car.  I am just not sure the present applications by gm would get much
advantage from the change so i am a skeptic but really wishing.

of course, the valve lift would have to be switchable on the dash so you
could engage the wild cam at idle for show purposes  ; )

no, i don't think you have to control the cams it might hurt the torgue
curve and emissions is all, but controlling them shouldn't be all that
hard, as i assume it is just a voltage controll.  As i learn more about
that, i'll post.

more discussion please!

rick frey