[Gmecm] check engine light

Jay Vessels jay at vessels-clan.com
Wed Aug 17 03:36:22 UTC 2005

Hi there!

The Painless harness I have came with just that -- a lamp mounted in a
housing with an amber lens.  Nothing special.  On my truck the cluster
has a place for the MIL, so I populated that part of the cluster and ran
the wiring to it.

What would I do?  I'd probably grab some transparency media (the stuff
you use with overhead projectors for presentations), crank up some paint
software (Photoshop, Gimp, etc.) and make a "Check Engine" lens with a
black background and whatever color you want for the lettering.  Print
it on your inkjet printer, stuff it into a housing, and shine the LED or
lamp of your choice behind it.

If you want that lens from a factory car, one source is 1982-1985
S-series trucks.  The lens is in the middle of the cluster and pretty
easy to get to (take a T15 Torx bit screwdriver with you, that's it).

1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 carb. (for now)