[Diy_efi] Fuel pump run time with key on

Lee M. Lemoine llemoine at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 23:37:16 UTC 2005

Ben,

The problem is with the pump -- there is a checkvalve on the top to
prevent this bleedback in pressure.   I have a Turbo Grand Prix 3.1
McLaren engine crammed into my Cavalier Z24, and had this problem with
the old pump...   I believe it is a recirculating ball valve, and can
be serviced separately -- however, i just replaced the whole deal all
at once with a brand new corvette pump (obviously, use your stock
application!)

As far as your issue, See if you have a lead in pin "G" of your ALDL
connector.  It's under the dashboard of the car...   Here's a link to
a diagram for my J-car (pinout)  note, it doesn't have pin G... =20
http://s117450979.onlinehome.us/help/ALDL.gif

If you DO have a pin there in pin G, its either going to be a positive
or negative input.   Start with negative as not to do any irreversible
damage -- Ground that terminal and listen for the fuel pump.  If you
get nothing (with the ignition off) hook it up to a fused +12v source,
which should power it up.   I believe this wire is going to feed the
output of the relay, as it does on my car.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PIN G... =20

Examine the wiring harnesses in the engine compartment nearest the
firewall.  You are looking for a single wire taped to the outside,
just at the end of the loom right at the firewall harness -- this is
where the J-body (cavalier, sunbird, etc) connector is from '82-'94,
as well as the N-body and many other GM cars, i think the GM10
platform had it also (W-body)... but some switched to the underdash
connector in later years...      Put 12v fused into this, and you
should hear your pump running.  i'd personally wire this to a toggle
switch, and hook it up to IGN1 on your ignition switch (it's the one
that will be live during cranking)...  So basically, as long as you
don't sit forever with the switch on 'on' it'll be just fine...=20
always running.   Not that it matters, because the 3.4 is a return
based system anyways!

-- Lee

On 8/22/05, Adam Wade <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Ben <sappyse107 at 60degreev6.com> wrote:
>=20
> > I haven't found any variables for the pump though,
> > which is why I was asking if there is such a
> > variable in any of the computers, so I know
> > what to look for.
>=20
> Some ECUs have a variable, and I would imagine some
> have it coded into the runtime  Hopefully someone will
> have an answer to that question for your particular
> ECU.
>=20
> The other solution, of simply adding a switch to power
> the fuel pump relay "manually", is a definite fix, and
> one you might consider if your search for a variable
> bears no fruit.
>=20
> | Honda GL500 Interstate (Slug)    Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
> | "It was like an emergency ward after a great catastrophe; it  |
> |   didn't matter what race or class the victims belonged to.   |
> |  They were all given the same miracle drug, which was coffee. |
> |   The catastrophe in this case, of course, was that the sun   |
> |     had come up again."                    -Kurt Vonnegut     |
> | M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |
>=20
>=20
>=20