[Gmecm] Is a '95 Transport 3800 one of those wierd mid-year

Christian E. Carson fastcarson at prodigy.net
Fri Aug 26 17:23:23 UTC 2005

> Hello, all!  I just picked up a '95 Pontiac Transport
> with a 3800 buick motor.  The first think I noticed
> was that it ran pretty poorly, and the CE light is
> lit.  My first instinct was to go find the good old
> paperclip and see what faults it wants to tell me
> about.
GM got away from the paperclip trick about when they started introducing
Flash PCMs instead of the old ones that accept a chip. As with my '94 Buick
Roadmaster, with the popular 8051 PCM, you must use a cable with a MAX232
chip inside it (see http://www.akmcables.com) in order to communicate with
the ECM - it will not flash codes.  Of course, there may be some other
method to get it to flash codes on your car, but I haven't figured it out on
mine yet.
I think there is no "B" pin on my car either, you must use whatever pin that
is below the "A" as the serial output and the "A" is simply ground.
Chris