[Gmecm] Auto-tune algorithm for real-time tuning programs

William Lucke william.lucke at highspeedlink.net
Fri Aug 26 23:19:20 UTC 2005

The latest generation of AEM EMS's have an "autotune" feature that allows
the computer to dial in its own fuel map based on the readings of a wide
band O2 sensor.

The only portion of that algorithm that is not currently available for DIY
tuning of GM computers is a feedback loop linking BLM's to VE table values.
This still has to be done manually. I wouldn't think it would be terribly
difficult to add that algorithm to a real-time tuning suite like TunerPro
RT or TunerCAT RT. The software could look at the datastream and after the
BLM value in a given cell has stabilized, would modify the corresponding VE
table entries to reflect the value of that BLM cell. I know that each BLM
cell accounts for multiple VE cells, so some smoothing and conditioning and
interpolation would be involved, but the problem is pretty simple
computationally.

That way, you just drive around with an emulator in your computer and a
laptop in your passenger seat and the fuel map basically dials itself in as
the BLM's change. It will still require tuning of the spark table and final
manual adjustments/smoothing to the VE tables, but it would save a whole
lot of time and effort.

Has anyone else been thinking of this?

Will