[Diy_efi] GM TBI for 1.8 to 2 liter engines

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman at gengas.nu
Sun Aug 28 07:43:56 UTC 2005

In Europe, the GM TBI system (P4) is widely used on Opel cars with 1,6 l
engines (C16LZ and C16NZ), around 1986 to 1992. I think that the same
cars may have been sold as Daewoo or Chevrolet in the US. I have
relatively successfully used a such system on a 2,0 l Volvo B20 engine,
it is necessary to increase the fuel pressure to compensate for the
bigger engine, this was done by a separate, adjustable pressure
regulator connected into the fuel return line.
It was somewhat tricky to modify the ignition distributor (Bosch with
breaker points) to get an inductive sensor into it and remove the
mechanical ignition advance. The main problem was that the distributor
rotates counterclockwise, and it was difficult to find a CCW Bosch
distributor with inductive sensor. After some searching, i found that i
could use parts from on a '86 Ford Escort (german built) with 1,6 l
engine. When modifying the distributor, one must be very careful to get
both the sensor rotor and the distributor rotor in the correct height,
as well as making sure that the trigger pulse is correctly synchronized
to the high voltage distributor.

/Torbjörn Forsman