[Diy_efi] CDI Ignition cut

Doug Allison powerjet
Mon Aug 22 07:52:39 UTC 2005

I do hill climbing with a modified 500cc 2-stroke bike.
Traction is a problem ! I'm looking at making a traction
control set-up by cutting the ignition.

I begun by delaying the pulse from the magneto pick-up
by up to 40 deg. which effectively retards the timing.
This works quiet well because you have a variable
power output. However, if the retard is applied too fast,
the bike will back-fire, and then it takes +- 5 engine revs.
before it starts firing again ??

Initially I wanted to cut on the primary side of the coil,
but with CDI ignition there is around 600V there !!!!

Any suggestions / help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Doug