[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 6, Issue 23

Bill Washington bill.washington
Wed Aug 24 03:10:03 UTC 2005

Mike,
    In my experience even when the diesel is pumping out lots of black
smoke - ie unburned or part burned fuel - there is still lots of excess
oxygen - the reason for the smoke is usually droplet sizes that are too
large to burn in the available time - ie inadequate atomisation so the
oxygen can't get to all the fuel during the power stroke - In this
scenario, for a mechanical injection diesel, even if more fuel is
injected than there is oxygen to burn there will still be excess oxygen
because of the droplet size.
     The big adavantage with the latest generation of common rail
diesels is the superior atomisation achieved by raising the fuel
pressure in the distribution rail to extremely (even
dangerously) high  levels and changing from mechanical injection to
electronic injection - the mechanical injection pumps had no hope of
achieving the injection pressures the common rail designs use as normal
- the pressure difference from mechanical injection to common rail is
orders of magnitude.
    Therefore I believe that a normal O2 sensor (narrow or wideband)
will not work on a diesel because there is always 'excess' oxygen. Note
also that normally, diesels have wide open air induction - ie no
throttle butterfly and engine speed and power are controlled solely by
the volume of fuel injected, therefore the amount of air inducted in a
normally aspirated diesel per stroke is essentially the same across the
entire rev/power range (neglecting restrictions in the air filter and
intake tract) - including these effects means that the volume of
inducted air will reduce slightly as the revs increase.
    Adding a turbo changes this, of course
    That being said, I seem to recall reading somewhere about some of
the common rail diesels using an oxygen sensor but no details of type or
purpose though it stands to reason that it would/ could only serve any
purpose in a maximum power condition in a modern common rail diesel when
it may be possible to inject more very finely atomised fuel than there
is air to burn it, then an oxy sensor could come into play to limit the
volume of injected fuel.
Regards
Bill