[Diy_efi] Re: Diesel A/F and F1?

Mike niche
Wed Aug 24 10:43:56 UTC 2005

At 05:58 PM 8/24/05, you wrote:
>There is no such thing as an AFR of 14.5:1 for diesels
>Running at 14.5:1 would produce clouds of smoke, soot,
>and unburned fuel.  There is no attempt to create an A/F
>"mixture" prior to combustion. There is simply a pocket
>of air at 450 deg and some fuel is squirted into it.

Hi Phil,

Great dissertation on diesel, worth keeping, nice summary
saves time trowling the web, thanks for the effort  :-)

>F1 never uses fuel to cool exhaust valves. The valves are discarded after
>1300 kms so are totally sacrificial as are cranks and heads and
>valve seats and everything else you care to name.

I didnt suggest the valves be used beyond one race, its during the
race that I understand fuel is often effectively dumped at up to 4:1 AFR
and often immediately after a hard acceleration/output to help prevent
the valves softening or burning during the race given all the extremes
involved, these things are doing some extreme revs so the valve stresses
are huge, hence anything to help maintain the valves as low as possible
below critical temperatures is helpful during the race.

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au