[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 6, Issue 23

Ian Molton spyro
Wed Aug 24 22:37:06 UTC 2005

Bill Washington wrote:

Nice to see some diesel knowhow here...

Can anyone tell me this...

If I can find a set of electronic diesel injectors that physically fit
my car (Daihatsu Charade 1.0 Turbo Diesel, 3 cylinder, CL-61 engine),
and assuming I could build the requisite control logic, could I get it
to work?

The CL-61 is an indirect injection engine, and I've never heard of a
common rail indirect injection engine.

The existing injectors are pintle types, spraying at 147psi She manages
about 50 MPG.

Could it really be as simple as fitting electronic injectors, a rail,
TDC sensor, and (simple case) fixed injection timing logic, in order to
get a working engine ? or is it just not possible to get injectors that
will physically fit...

Are common rail IPs physically harder to turn (more torque required)
than traditional types? the reverse?