[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 6, Issue 23

Ian Molton spyro
Fri Aug 26 22:15:21 UTC 2005

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> For a little while. You have to remember that the very high pressure
> jets on the DI injectors blast the fuel mostly sideways; at very
> high speed. Depending on the material of the pre-chamber, that
> pre-chamber may progressively become eroded and increase in volume
> until the engine no longer works.

Most likely aluminium alloy in my engine. I had been wondering about
erosion from the spray.

I know standard injectors will happily squirt fuel through skin like a
hypodermic - I take it the higher pressure of CR systems will actually
blow away metal from the chamber?

what sort of timeframe are we talking for noticeable damage?

> "Diesel engine management" in particular
> http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=h007
> covers many types of systems.

Looks like a very useful book ;-)

> There's not enough information in the books to build engines and
> systems, but there should be enough to understand them.

Indeed.