[Diy_efi] More 4.3L TBI Timing Issues.

Geoff Harrison geoff_h
Sun Dec 18 01:02:11 UTC 2005

David Daniel wrote on Dec 13, 05

> There was only the 3rd gear indicator wire (ECM wiring shows
> 4th gear
> indicator, but the car was only a 3 speed auto), TCC lock-up
> wire, and
> possibly a ground wire, going to the tranny.  That plug is
> just tied above
> the tranny now, unused.  Speaking of transmissions and
> switches, what role
> does the Park/Neutral switch play in the operation of the ECM?
> Since I have
> a manual tranny now, the switch stays in "Park".  Should I
> move it so the
> ECM thinks it's in "Drive", or does it even matter?

As far as I know, the neutral / park switch is only used to bump
up the idle
control as the transmission goes into gear. A friend of mine
wrapped a 1979
Toyota Celica XX and gearbox around a GM 3800 / 808 set-up.
Idles on the fast
side with the selector switch missing. Grounding that lead will
tell the ECU it's
in neutral, and should idle at normal RPM. Sounds like you've
done that.

Set-up a switch so you can try either position while driving. It
may have other
effects on your ECU.

Good luck with the  timing issue.

Geoff