[Diy_efi] Continuing the chip switcher "problem"

Martin E martine001 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 12 16:08:53 GMT 2005

Bank switching is just a term used for swapping in and out Eprom banks.
Using bank switching you can effectivly increase your code size.
It a was popular way to increase the availble code size on 8051 uc's. Lower
memory would contain interrupts, since latency was an  issue. The upper
memory would have banks of eproms.
To  make the propper calls to the correct eprom, a coded bank handler was
used. Which would toggle some I/O port pins to select the proper eprom bank
and and place the  function call.
http://www.keil.com/ has some information on this.

In Marcello's  case:

He has 4 fuel map curves that he wants to switch between.
So using the 2 high order address lines, he can switch in 4 different 32Kbit
fuel maps (32k X 4 = 128Kb)

Cheers