[Diy_efi] Continuing the chip switcher "problem"

mbelloli at speedymotorsports.com mbelloli at speedymotorsports.com
Wed Feb 16 07:29:28 GMT 2005

     I took a look at a datasheet for the 74xx374 and think I understand
what is going on.  You put your new request of change of data in, and
on the next positive slope of the clock, the old data will be
switched to the new data.  So until the clock rises, the old data
will be there.  And if I'm getting this right, the data is only read
at the negative transition of the clock?  So you will have done the
change during the time you aren't performing a read.  And the system
will be no wiser.  Even if an instruction was in being read, and not
data from the chip it will still be transparent.  Hence the
Transparent latch name.  Could you look at the Not PSEN signal I've
taken from the MCU at pin 23, and the Not OE pin as I've recorded
them on my webpage.
           http://home.comcast.net/~hexibot43/Waveforms.htm
     Is it possible that although the signal never reaches Vss or ground
the computer could still be reading it as Vss or logic state low?  Is
it possible that when it reaches the 2.5 v median point the computer
accepts that as ground?
     I pulled another like computer apart that I hadn't modified in any
way, and the logic of the pins are the same.
     I have checked the ground repeatedly on my scope.  I've tried using
the chassis ground.  I will tomorrow try backing off the time scale
on the scope, becuase 5us/div is the absolute setting on the scope.
In fact it is a two trace scope, but when taking reading at this
level turns the second channel off.
     I'm thinking of putting one of those 74xx374 in place, as a test and
give it a state change at the inputs, and see if the outputs ever
change.  If they do, perhaps the signal is there and I'm just missing
it.  So if I've got this right I'd run the signal at Not OE into the
clock in of the chip, Hold the output control low, and apply my input
to the D line.

Thanks,
Marcello

You know I can't talk to anyone I work with about this, they just don't
understand. It is so nice to talk to people that know more than me.