[Diy_efi] WOT tuning tool

Scott Peitzsch jlg-sep at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 02:47:50 GMT 2005

> > Its most common use is as a tuning bandaid on EFI'd
> > motorcycles, but you could fairly easily adapt it to
> > an automotive TBI application
>
> D'oh.  I'd forgotten he said that it was for TBI.
>
> This could be a problem, as most TBI applications are,
> I believe, peak and hold injectors, and the Power
> Commander III is only available for saturated drive
> injectors, as far as I know.  It would take some
> re-engineering of the hardware to make it a "drop-in"
> for a P&H drive injector setup.  Of course, you could
> just use two or more sat drive injectors and stage
> them so as to get the same or better dynamic range,
> but then you're into having to re-engineer some more
> to get all the injectors working properly and in concert.

I've never opened one up before, but it shouldn't be all
that difficult to insert an LM1949 injector drive controller
IC (along with the assorted support components) into the
PC's output circuit.  If that proves impractical, a basic PnH
driver board could be built and inserted after the output of
the PC.  Either way, not that much work for anyone skilled
with a soldering iron.  The sample circuits found in the
LM1949 datasheet are more than sufficient.  Parts cost
shouldn't be much more than ~$20 for the components.

-Scott