[Diy_efi] Need help from the experts diagnosing lean state

WSCowell at aol.com WSCowell at aol.com
Sun Feb 20 08:10:39 GMT 2005

--===============32417605310341413==

-------------------------------1108886859

Well, the movement of any ferrous material within the inductor's field is
going to affect its behaviour, because its inductance will change.  My  point
is, you are going to have to do some work with known good injectors to
ascertain what it should look like, and compare your injectors on that  basis.

I genuinely don't know what difference a stuck or lazy pintle will make, it
can't be more than the order of a few percent or so, so the scope is  going to
have to be a good one, high resolution and accuracy, and preferably a  DSO
because you will be trying to capture transient events which don't  necessarily
repeat every inject cycle.

I would be very interested to know whether anything shows up.  I'm a
relative newcomer to EFI stuff although a competent engineer, and this sounds  like a
really interesting practical diagnostic issue.

Regards

Will Cowell
G0OPL

-------------------------------1108886859

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2523" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>Well, the movement of any ferrous material within the inductor's field=20=
is=20
going to affect its behaviour, because its inductance will change.&nbsp; My=20
point is, you are going to have to do some work with known good injectors to=
=20
ascertain what it should look like, and compare your injectors on that=20
basis.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I genuinely don't know what difference a stuck or lazy pintle will make=
, it=20
can't be&nbsp;more than&nbsp;the order of a few percent or so, so the scope=20=
is=20
going to have to be a good one, high resolution and accuracy, and preferably=
 a=20
DSO because you will be trying to capture transient events which don't=20
necessarily repeat every inject cycle.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I would be very interested to know whether anything shows up.&nbsp; I'm=
 a=20
relative newcomer to EFI stuff although a competent engineer, and this sound=
s=20
like a&nbsp;really interesting practical diagnostic issue.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Will Cowell</DIV>