[Diy_efi] Please trim your replys

Phil Hunter diy-efi at t-n-e.com
Wed Feb 23 06:13:07 GMT 2005

Folks,

A lot of the bandwidth that Steve R. refered to is being burned up
in the long re-re-replys that few are bothering to edit out.

I received 4 digests today, normally only one is sent midday, unless
the total bytes of the messages exceeds some threshold like 15K. Last
time I looked, there were about 200 folks getting messages directly
and about 100 subscribers in digest mode. So today alone, not including
the other lists here, just diy-efi, 60+KB times approx. 300 users or
18MB was sent by the mail server. And that's not taking into consideration
the mail headers that are normally not seen, but get added on to every
message. They average over 1KB, even if you send an empty message, ~200
listers times 1K, or 200KB is burned for nothing but overhead. Today
there were 21 messages in the 4 digests, so ((21 * 200) + (4 * 100)) * 1K,
so another 4.6M burned just for headers. If you're a lurker, might
consider switching to digest mode to reduce this overhead to just 1K
per day instead of 1K per message sent to you.

As a simple experiment a while ago, I "grep'd" out the 3 "footer" lines
from all the re-re-replys, cut my archive size by 5%, just from those 3
lines being repeated so often by not trimming the replys.

Another thing that's happening by not trimming replys is archive pollution.
If we get an archive search engine, it will be less useful than it could
be due to all the false hits from all the repeats of the same info
over-n-over-n-over-n-over... in the re-re-replys.

Something else to consider, might not be a good strategic move to P.O.
about 100 or so digesters if you ever might want to ask a question of
the list.  That's a lot of people that might have some useful info for
you, but are not inclined to reply due to your previous inconsideration
of them.

We're all creatures of habit, so howzabout getting into the habit of
taking a few seconds to edit your replys? The benefits from your efforts
will be multiplied several hundred times the cost.

adTHANKSvance,
phil
(digest)