[Diy_efi] Knock sensing - water injection

Geoff Harrison geoff_h at smartchat.net.au
Fri Feb 25 01:20:55 GMT 2005

Hi all.
IIRC, knocking = pre-ignition = detonation, which occurs if the c/r is too
high for the fuel being used. Will also occur if the ign is advanced to far.
We used to fix the problem with lead. Can't and shouldn't do that. Modern
practise is to retard ign.
Why not have an injector which adds a bit of something to the mix. Could be
anything that will slow the burn rate or reduce internal temp or combination
of both, like methanol or avgas. Even water.

I used to have an acquaintance that used water injection on a small V8. Once
on the highway would turn it on. Had to shut it down 5 mins before shutting
down engine. Apparently water has a greater expansion rate than air for a
given heat rise, making the engine more fuel efficient. Recent searches on
water injection only come up with spray units for intercoolers. Any one have
thoughts or experience along these lines.

Regards,
Geoff

Geoff Harrison IT Services.
Port Macquarie  NSW.