[Diy_efi] Knock sensing - water injection

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 25 02:10:57 GMT 2005

At 10:32 AM 2/25/05, Geoff Harrison wrote:
>Hi all.
>IIRC, knocking = pre-ignition = detonation,

NOPE.

Pre-ignition does NOT equal detonation.

The other things which you are stating as 'sort-of' facts are also pretty
wildly distorted.

If you look through the archives, there is PLENTY of info on what H2O
injection can do, and why it does it. Your so-called 'rate of expansion'
ain't it at all--but water's very high latent heat of vaporization has
quite a lot to do with it--as does its ability to facilitate hydrocarbon
combustion.

"slowing down the burn rate' is about the opposite of what you want to
avoid end gas detonation---

Greg

 which occurs if the c/r is too