[Diy_efi] pulse readings: correction.

Karl Walter krw at efn.org
Sat Feb 26 19:09:13 GMT 2005

--===============85240930008609395==

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C51BF3.12753040

  Hello,

  The LED needs an 800 ohm balast resistor for 5 volt pulses.

  I am sorry for not providing accurate information in my previous post. =
 I just figured it was a nice opportunity to share a "quick trick" I =
use.=20

  W.S. Cowell seems to think my post was "misleading" and "nonsense"  =
Does everybody else on the list feel this way too? I usually give the =
E-mails a quick read, and I have been hesitant to post something that's =
not a question.  I just threw out an idea, brainstorm style, and now I =
feel that I should not post unless I have a guarenteed, tested, and 100% =
accurate answer. =20

  To All, should I be afraid to post replys to this list?  Do you want =
to  read my sometimes not fully thought out ideas, or should I just shut =
up?  Threads don't stay around long usually, So if a quick answer that =
might be wrong isn't OK, I probably won't be able to get a reply off =
before the origional question is long gone.

  Jim wrote:

  "Hey all, I tried to check the pulses comming on that tach signal but =
to my dispise the fluke multi meter I have does not read HZ... any cheap =
and easy ideas???"

  He was looking for "ideas" and yes, he seems to be asking for a hz =
reading.

  A loud speaker won't give a quantative frequency reading either, =
although I may have missed a previous post by Jim, explaining exactly =
what he was doing.

  The loudspeaker, as suggested by David is a great Idea. If a tiny =
plastic enclosed Piezo tweeter will work, it would be tough enough to =
coexist with all the wrenches in my tool box without being crushed. I =
would be a great addition to my collection of quick and easy diagnostic =
tools.=20

  Here's the details on using an LED as a quick diagnostic tool:
   Some user's results may be different due to differences in LED's.  I =
can provide specs on the LEDs I have used, but it's easier to just try =
some.
  An led on a 5 volt pulse will require a dropping resistor. Use 800 =
ohms.  2 LED's with dropping resistors, one forward biased, one reverse, =
in parallel, avoids a mistake in polarity.  For the ignition refrence =
pulse on a GM DIS system (1990 3.1l v6) at Idle the LED will seem almost =
steady, but look carefully, you can see the flicker. =20

  Super bright LED's work better. An 800 ohm resistor works well, it =
shows nicely on 5 volts, and won't blow the LED if connected to 12v for =
a few seconds or more.

  Just a simple LED, no resistor, does work to check a vehicle speed =
sensor, or a crank position sensor, as long as it is the 2 wire reluctor =
style, not a Hall effect unit.  I have done this on GM crank sensors, =
and gm and ford VSS's, and it works surprisingly well.

  I wouldn't suggest that this is a substitute for a lab scope or other =
quantitative instrument, but having some LED's in your tool kit on the =
road, or at the wrecking yard can be really handy.  A vss can be checked =
by just spinning it by hand, a crank sensor, by waving a =
(steel)screwdriver by it.  On the road, if your car quits, you can =
determine if the 5 volt Ignition reference pulse is present while =
cranking, but the loud speaker would be better since it wouldn't require =
two people, one to crank and one to watch.=20

  --Karl

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C51BF3.12753040

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The LED needs an 800 ohm balast =
resistor for 5=20
  volt pulses.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am sorry for not providing accurate =
information=20
  in my previous post.&nbsp; I just figured it was a nice opportunity to =
share a=20
  "quick trick" I use. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>W.S. Cowell seems to think my post =
was=20
  "misleading" and "nonsense"&nbsp; Does everybody else on the list feel =
this=20
  way too? I usually give the E-mails a quick read, and I have been =
hesitant to=20
  post something that's not a question.&nbsp; I just threw out an idea,=20
  brainstorm style, and now I feel that I should not post unless I have =
a=20
  guarenteed, tested, and 100% accurate answer.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To All, should I be afraid to post =
replys to this=20
  list?&nbsp; Do you want to&nbsp; read my sometimes not fully thought =
out=20
  ideas, or should I just shut up?&nbsp; Threads don't stay around long =
usually,=20
  So if a quick answer that might be wrong isn't OK, I probably won't be =
able to=20
  get a reply off before the origional question is long =
gone.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
  <DIV><BR>Jim wrote:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>"Hey all, I tried to check the pulses comming on that tach signal =
but to=20
  my dispise the fluke multi meter I have does not read HZ... any cheap =
and easy=20
  ideas???"</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>He was looking for "ideas" and yes, he seems to be asking for a =
hz=20
  reading.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>A loud&nbsp;speaker won't give a quantative frequency reading =
either,=20
  although I may have missed a previous post by Jim, explaining exactly =
what he=20
  was doing.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>The loudspeaker, as suggested by David is a great Idea. If a tiny =
plastic=20
  enclosed Piezo tweeter will work, it would be tough enough to coexist =
with all=20
  the wrenches in my tool box without being crushed. I would be a great =
addition=20
  to my collection of quick and easy diagnostic tools. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Here's the details on using an LED as a quick diagnostic =
tool:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;Some user's results may be different due to differences in=20
  LED's.&nbsp; I can provide specs on the LEDs I have used, but it's =
easier to=20
  just try some.</DIV>
  <DIV>An led on a 5 volt pulse will require a dropping resistor. Use =
800=20
  ohms.&nbsp; 2 LED's with dropping resistors, one forward biased, one =
reverse,=20
  in parallel, avoids a mistake in polarity.&nbsp; For the ignition =
refrence=20
  pulse on a GM DIS system (1990 3.1l v6) at Idle the LED will seem =
almost=20
  steady, but look carefully, you can see the flicker.&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV><BR>Super bright LED's work better. An 800 ohm resistor works =
well, it=20
  shows nicely on 5 volts, and won't blow the LED if connected to 12v =
for a few=20
  seconds or more.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Just a simple LED, no resistor,&nbsp;does work to check a vehicle =
speed=20
  sensor, or a crank position sensor, as long as it is the 2 wire =
reluctor=20
  style, not a Hall effect unit.&nbsp; I have done this on GM crank =
sensors, and=20
  gm and ford VSS's, and it works surprisingly well.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I wouldn't suggest that this is a substitute for a lab scope or =
other=20
  quantitative instrument, but having some LED's in your tool kit on the =
road,=20
  or at the wrecking yard can be really handy.&nbsp; A vss can be =
checked by=20
  just spinning it by hand, a crank sensor, by waving a =
(steel)screwdriver by=20
  it.&nbsp; On the road, if your car quits, you can determine if the 5 =
volt=20
  Ignition reference pulse is present while cranking, but the loud =
speaker would=20
  be better since it wouldn't require two people, one to crank and one =
to watch.=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>--Karl<BR></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C51BF3.12753040--