[Diy_efi] Re: diy_efi Digest, Vol 17, Issue 45

Bill Washington bill.washington at nec.com.au
Mon Feb 28 00:19:18 GMT 2005

Marcello,
    A DSO is a fundamentally different beast from an analog CRO.
    A DSO works by taking periodic instantaneous snapshots (Samples) of
the signal and extrapolating between these samples.
The critical specification is the maximum number of samples per second -
the more the better (but also the more expensive).
The theoretical maximum frequency it can display is half the maximum
sample rate, therefore a DSO which has a max sample rate of 100Ms/s can
display up to a 50 MHz PERIODIC signal.
When the signal is not periodic the timing of the captured waveform
edges can be shifted by up to the maximum gap between samples, in the
example above this would be (1/100M) s = 10ns.
Note also that the sample rate changes with the timebase setting
selected - the DSO does not have unlimited memory, and can therefore
store only a limited maximum number of samples - when the timebase gets
slowed down the sample rate has to be reduced so that it does not run
out of memory - therfore also resolution reduces.

    One further feature which you may find useful is "Glitch Capture" -
this feature (if it is included on the specific DSO) may be turned ON or
OFF manually - When it is (installed and) turned ON, the DSO has the
capability of taking one or more additional samples when it detects a
glitch occur within a pre-determined (by the user) window
(amplitude,width).
    These Glitches would otherwise often be missed by the periodic
sampling nature of the DSO.

    One other thing to be VERY wary of with a DSO - they can easily fool
you with a seemingly correct looking wavefprm which has been sampled at
too slow a timebase - IE too slow a sampling rate - when it gets one
sample every 2, 3, 4, or more cycles of a periodic or aperiodic but
pulsing waveform - In this case you may see an 'accurate-looking'
representation, but it is not a true picture of the waveform you are
trying to view - essential information has been lost and cannot be
recovered!

    My recomendation would therefore be to go for a Sample/second rate 2
or 3 times higher than you need (ie 4 to 6 times greater than the
fastest signal you want to capture) with a Glitch capture facility -----
Hip Pocket permitting, of course!!!

Best Regards
Bill