[Diy_efi] Re: (was: IAC counts) VE tuning issues

Mike Frels mfrels at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 3 02:05:44 GMT 2005

--===============67369382426003055==

--=====================_106914359==.ALT

I don't think a non-heated O2 Sensor is my 160 problem. My BLM goes to 160
almost the instant, if not slightly before, my engine goes to idle. I just
can't see the sensor cooling off THAT fast. I've got a used four wire
heated O2 sensor from a fourth-gen F-body that I plan to install but I
don't want to introduce any more variables at this time.

My idle counts are staying around 11 and my MAP Sensor doesn't indicate a
vacuum leak so I am going to do some more looking for oxygen leaks into the
exhaust manifold and another plumbing which goes into the exhaust
manifolds. It's gotta be something as stupidly simple as those backed off
manifold bolts. Perhaps a crack in the cast iron or a cracked AIR tube
weld...hmmmm...

Mike

At 03:55 PM 1/2/2005, you wrote:
>you can avoid the O2 cooldown problem by installing a heated O2... run the
>heater from Switched 12V and ground

I don't want to introduce any more variables at this time.<br><br>
My idle counts are staying around 11 and my MAP Sensor doesn't indicate a
vacuum leak so I am going to do some more looking for oxygen leaks into
the exhaust manifold and another plumbing which goes into the exhaust
manifolds. It's gotta be something as stupidly simple as those backed off
manifold bolts. Perhaps a crack in the cast iron or a cracked AIR tube
weld...hmmmm...<br><br>
Mike<br><br>
At 03:55 PM 1/2/2005, you wrote:<br>
problem by installing a heated O2... run the heater from Switched 12V and
ground<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
<i>-------Original Message-------<br>
</i>&nbsp;<br>
McDowell</a><br>
Do-It-Yourself EFI'</a><br>
issues<br>
&nbsp;<br>
the idle.&nbsp; I also have what seems to be excessively high BLM right
at idle.&nbsp; I have close to 128 all over but when I stop I can watch
the idle cell BLM just creep up to 140 or more.&nbsp; It seems that the
other cells within the same BLM grouping are fairly happy, but when it
goes all the way down to idle it gets messed up.&nbsp; I haven't had time
to mess with it for a while but I was guessing maybe the O2 sensor just
cooled off or something (I have headers).&nbsp; Or possibly it just needs
more VE.&nbsp; I have to work on it to see, but I'd be curious what you
figure out.<br>
go to open loop at idle, but I don't have it set up that way.&nbsp; Is
this why they have it, because closed loop is flakey at idle?&nbsp; I'm
not sure how you'd tune your idle though without O2, unless just by
feel.<br>
<b>From:</b> diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org
[<a href="mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org" eudora="autourl">
Frels<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Diy_efi] Re: (was: IAC counts) VE tuning
issues<br><br>
with vacuum on the manifold side and it doesn't bleed air into the
exhaust. Before warming up the engine I checked the exhaust manifold
bolts and nuts. All were tight, except for two. Guess which two? The two
that hold the manifold tight against the #7 exhaust port. They were
completely loose. Oxygen was coming into the exhaust just inches from the
O2 sensor. Murphy's law again I guess. After tightening I took it for a
quick drive. The butt scan said it was running much better. I took it for
a quick second drive with proper scan tool attached. Much better! Idle is
still at 160 but all the surrounding rpm/kPa ranges are yielding 130-145
BLMs.<br><br>
I feel like I am now getting somewhere. Thanks for the exhaust leak
tip...<br><br>
Mike<br><br>
At 05:50 PM 1/1/2005, you wrote:<br>
air into the exhaust even with the valve &quot;off&quot;. Had to plug off
the air line whlie tuning.&nbsp; Once I had the idle set, and
re-connected everything, it would creep to ritch.&nbsp; Had to replace
the valve in the end.&nbsp;&nbsp; Also had problems with the exhaust
manifold not sealing at the head on another vehicle and giving lean
readings on the o2 sensor.&nbsp; Idle blocks are hard to tune, in my
opinion, since they have to be lean to pass smog.<br>
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>To: <a href="mailto:diy_efi at diy-efi.org">A list for Do-It-Yourself
EFI</a>
<dd>Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 5:42 AM
<dd>Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Re: (was: IAC counts) VE tuning issues<br>

<dd>I was reading HELMS this morning(couldn't keep the eyelids open past
11:00 last night) AIR should only inject into the exhaust manifolds when
cold and in open loop to help burn converter destroying unburned fuel.
When it warms and goes closed the AIR should then divert to the
converter. I interpret this to mean the AIR system should have no
influence on my 02 readings.<br><br>

<dd>Just the same I am going to double check for proper operation today.
Hmmm...could I have switched the two connectors to the diverter valve
last time I reassembled after checking lifter preload?...I've done worse
before!...<br>

<dd>I will report on progress as it happens. Yesterday's forecast for
today was 50% chance of rain.<br>

<dd>Happy New Year,
<dd>Mike<br>