[Diy_efi] EFI bug

Michael Kaczmar abbynrml94 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 04:30:16 GMT 2005

Hello:

I am a new member to this list, and have been lurking for a short time
now. I am interested in two DIY-EFI projects, and am looking for a
little info. As a brief resume, previous EFI projects include, Ford
EEC-IV Mass Air 5.0L Engine into my 53 F-100, converting a 93 GM LT1
harness over to the 94-95 8051 controller in my buddies Porsche 944,
and some LT1 tuning via TunerCat, as well as other late model GM stuff.
So, I do not consider myself a pro, but probably a little over a
novice. I am a Mechanical Engineer struggling to get these circuit
boards to tell my engine what to do. I have no problem with wiring, and
have access to a chip burner.

My first DIY-EFI project is to setup EFI on an Air cooled VW bug motor.
I was planning on using a version of the GM-TPI controller. I have
experience with newer and late model GM-EFI systems, and TBI, but not
too much on the older speed-density controllers. I have been doing some
research, and is seems the "730" controller is what everybody refers
to. Other research indicates that the early 90's V6's used this same
basic controller? Finally, it also seems that the software has a
constant for # of cylinders. I plan on using GM sensors, and a GM
throttle body. A batch fire system should be fine, and once I have this
running, I will be adding a turbo, and 2/3-bar MAP sensor. Since I
understand GM EFI better, I'd like to use a GM controller if possible.
I have considered the Megasquirt, but I trust OEM-spec controllers over
aftermarket stuff. Call me crazy if you will.

The questions I have are:
1) Ignition. Can I run a coil pack setup, or do I modify a VW
distributor to work?
2) What other sensors do I need to run a distributorless ignition? Is
it just a crank sensor,  a cam sensor or both? Just trying to figure
out how the controller determines which bank of injectors/what
cylinders to fire? This is where I am not clear.

Plumbing high pressure fuel lines and fab work is not a problem for me,
it's getting the basics working on the EFI-side.
I'd like to figure out how to setup the firing order, and what needs to
be done to make this controller work on a flat-4 engine.

I think this is enough typing for now, if I am off the deep end let me
know. In the long run, I would like to also do a turbo EFI Ford L6.

Thanks folks..

=====
Michael Kaczmar
Creator 77/94/95/96 Caprice a.k.a. Frankenstein LT1/MN6
2004 Impulse Blue GTO, LS1/M12
53 F-100 5.0/T5, Mustang II, T-bird IRS.....
70 F-100 302/C4, Edelbrock, MSD, 1-off bodywork ;-)
see http://www.geocities.com/abbynrml94 for project pics!!