Fw: [Diy_efi] EFI bug

Geoff Harrison geoff_h at smartchat.net.au
Tue Jan 4 13:05:06 GMT 2005

Hi all, I am also a new member. Still learning the techniques used in EFI.
Please correct me if I am incorrect with the following suggestions.
The V6 GM EFI used on Australian Commodores is US manufacture.
The Ausie V6 is the US Buick 3800 or 231CID. Mine is a 91 model,
and stayed the same till 96. It uses 2 interrupters mounted on the back
of the harmonic balancer. One interrupter has 18 slots, the other has 3.
2 Hall sensors are mounted adjacent to each other. It has direct fire
ignition, using 3 double sided coils.

This unit should work on a 4 Cyl if interrupters can be made, using
12 and 2 slots, discarding the 3rd coil.
What I haven't figured out yet, is how the EFI controller knows which
stroke a given cylinder is on. There has to be a mechanism to determine
which coil gets the spark. The post 96 models have a cam position
pickup, and uses sequential firing of the injectors. The earlier unit used
a MAP sensor, the later a hot wire airflow sensor.

You could use oil temp in lieu of the usual coolant temp sensor.
Your idea of the V6 throttle body on a VeeDub. It wont be undersized!
You could probably set up the idle valve as a cruise control.

As for the Ford IL6. Our Ford sixes of the early 90s came with MPI.
This was a 4 litre with alloy head, OHC. I don't know if its the same as
US 6s. But the injection system was good.
I too have been thinking of IL6 with EFI. Rather than turbo, I like the idea
of 6 TBs with ram tubes.

Cheers for now