[Diy_efi] Re: diy_efi Digest, Vol 16, Issue 7

Michael Kaczmar abbynrml94 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 22:36:47 GMT 2005

*********
 One interrupter has 18 slots, the other has
3.
2 Hall sensors are mounted adjacent to each other. It has direct fire
ignition, using 3 double sided coils.
***********

Does this just trigger cylinder 1 TDC and #2 BDC? With lost spark
ignition, it should not care if the cylinder is on the
compression/expansion or expansion/exhaust stroke... right?

************8
This unit should work on a 4 Cyl if interrupters can be made, using
12 and 2 slots, discarding the 3rd coil.
*********************

Okay, why the different # of slots? I guess my I figured the ECM used
on set of slots to determine rpm, the different amount of slots to
determine TDC, and interpolated the crank position in between, to time
the other cylinders. Sounds like I am wrong here.

**************
What I haven't figured out yet, is how the EFI controller knows which
stroke a given cylinder is on. There has to be a mechanism to determine
which coil gets the spark.
**********

Wasted spark ignition I thought..

**********
The post 96 models have a cam position
pickup, and uses sequential firing of the injectors.
***********

The post 96 stuff was for OBD-II for misfire diagnostics, as far as I
know. There is probably some other reasons like you mentioned.

****************
You could use oil temp in lieu of the usual coolant temp sensor.
Your idea of the V6 throttle body on a VeeDub.
It wont be undersized!
*********
While it would be a little big for a stock 1600cc bug motor, this one
is a 2275cc, so using a TB intended for a 2.8 or 3.1L should be fine.
Also, the end goal is turbo so I think this is a safe start..

*********
You could probably set up the idle valve as a cruise control.
********
I could, but I plan on using IAC for the original reason..

********
As for the Ford IL6. Our Ford sixes of the early 90s came with MPI.
This was a 4 litre with alloy head, OHC. I don't know if its the same
as
US 6s.
********

That's the small L6, the one I want to use is the 300 ci (4.9L) engine
from the US pickups and vans. Bigger motor, and stock were noce truck
motors. The US never got an Aluminum cross-flow head. The 300 did have
port injection EFI, but the controller is not as hackable as the GM
stuff. Hence the desire to switch.

Good thoughts on the crank trigger.. I need to learn more. Like, how do
I time a flat 4 engine compared to a 60 degree V6 or 90 degree V8? If I
am thinking straight the TDC points in the combustion cycle are
different in crank degrees. How do I arrange the firing spacing?

=====
Michael Kaczmar
Creator 77/94/95/96 Caprice a.k.a. Frankenstein LT1/MN6
2004 Impulse Blue GTO, LS1/M12
53 F-100 5.0/T5, Mustang II, T-bird IRS.....
70 F-100 302/C4, Edelbrock, MSD, 1-off bodywork ;-)
see http://www.geocities.com/abbynrml94 for project pics!!