[Diy_efi] Frustrating fuel delivery problem!

James Seabolt turbofiat at hotpop.com
Tue Jan 18 12:20:49 GMT 2005

Could the fuel pressure regulator be the problem? Like it's rusted stuck in
the "idle" position which is letting too much fuel back to the tank which
won't allow the fuel pressure to increase?

I've never taken one of these apart but I suspect there has to be a spring
loaded diaphragm connected to a needle valve which restricts flow. Perhaps
on the opposite side it's gummed up with old gas.

What happens if you kink the return line? The fuel pressure should shoot up
to 60 PSI or more.

My 1980 Fiat Spider uses the Bosch L-jetronic system.

I'm also running a custom turbo system but no nitrous. Just 7 lbs of boost.
I'm afraid to run anymore because everything on the car is stock. My Spider
only has one fuelpump mounted externally.

Incidentally I have some 535 BMW injectors a friend sent me I've been
meaning to install. The dyno said my engine was starting to lean out a bit
at 4500 rpms and think it may give me more room for boost. I've been using
a Malpassi adjustable fuel regulator in the meantime which seems to work.

James Seabolt
Tennessee, United States
Homepage --->>> http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/

2003 Subaru Baja
1987 Yugo GV
1980 FIAT 2000 "TURBO" Spider
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (Not a Ford Galaxie!!)