[Diy_efi] 555 timers

paul b bidmeadp at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 18 14:00:26 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Seabolt" <turbofiat at hotpop.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 9:00 PM
Subject: [Diy_efi] 555 timers

> You guys got me thinking over the weekend and I think I'm going to give
> this 555 timer a shot.
> I've had some experience with this chip. I built a timer that would turn
an
> LED on and off and when I was looking through an old shoe box, found the
> circuit still hooked up to the breadboard. That was almost 15 years ago!
>
> It's been so long since my Tech School days so I'm hoping someone will
> refresh my memory. If I can put anything to use from my Digital Circuits
> class, I'm hoping this will be it. Since I was unable to use my computer
> degree. I ended up working at a chemical plant instead after school.
>
> What I want to do is take the tach signal from the - side of the coil
which
> will be the trigger, feed that into the 555 chip which will pulse the
> injector. And use a potentiometer to adjust the pulse rate.
>
> I want to start out using a Bosch cold start valve since it would be
easier
> to mount. Perhaps use the throttle position switch to trigger a second
> injector under wide open throttle and boost.
>
> I downloaded some pages on the 555 timer but can't figure out what size
> capacitors I need. And what range the potentiometer needs to be.

this all depends on what time constant u want
the formula is T = 1.1 x R x C
T is in seconds
R is in ohms and
C is in farads

> The timer chip I have is stamped NE555N. Is this the chip that will
> tolerate 5 to 18 volts? Or do I need a different chip?
yes

> Also I'm a bit confused on the reset (pin #4). One schematic shows it tied
> to pin #8 (Vcc). Another one shows something else.

the reset pin is active low
ie. if its high the chip will operate if its low he output will be off and
the discharge pin will be low

> If someone could draw me up a schematic with what components I need that
> would be really cool!
>
> I'm off for the next three days (I work 12 hour shifts) and would like to
> spend time on my Yugo since it's too cold to do anything else this time of
> year.
>
> Is it possible to build a working fuel injection system by simply
> controlling the injector using just a tach signal? I know it probably
> wouldn't be able to adapt any better to temperature and altitude changes
> than a carburetor but I'm thinking it just might work.
i dont see why you couldnt just do the good ol' trial-n-error

> I'm having my doubts whether I am going to successful at getting my Yugo
> accept blowing through a carburetor so I'm looking toward fuel injection.
>

> James Seabolt
> Tennessee, United States
> Homepage --->>> http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/
>
> 2003 Subaru Baja
> 1987 Yugo GV
> 1980 FIAT 2000 "TURBO" Spider
> 1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (Not a Ford Galaxie!!)

Stay Cool
ICEMAN