[Diy_efi] WBO2 and AFR

Michael Richards michael
Fri Jul 8 15:53:49 UTC 2005

I neglected to cover the point past which the wideband controller
begins to use it's HC part of the sensor to determine how "rich" the
mixture was. Point I was trying to make is that oxygen rendered by the
combustion, for example in oxygenated fuels ought to be cancelled out
in the equation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but widebands measure the lambda and
mathematically convert the result to AFR. I primarily tune with AFR
only because that's what most people understand.

I feel like those who stick their noses up and point at the lambda
difference are the same group who will correct one calling a
recirculating valve a BOV. Both issues they are technically correct
but neither makes the customer feel good about themselves as they
discuss the setup with the tuner.

So in a sense I think that those of us who use the AFR numbers are
actually using lambda but not realising it. Thoughts anyone?

-Michael