[Diy_efi] WBO2 and AFR

gary gas-
Thu Jul 7 19:02:05 UTC 2005

Another 'potential' trick question.

> > Would you not consider a stoich mixture of fuel one
> > that consumes all the available oxygen?

A guarded No.  The reason being stoich implies burning the available
fuel AND oxygen present.  You can burn whatever available oxygen
there is, but still have left over fuel looking for their share of oxygen
molecules.    Still not stoich, but in lieu of above, I prefer to state
mixture as one that burns what ever fuel is available.

14.7 was chosen as stoich, as this results in the least amount of the
various components/products of combustion recognized as harmful.
IOW, a compromise.

> > If oxygen were rendered from the combustion event then I
> > would expect there to be sufficient fuel to combust that as
> > part of the equation.

I'd be more concerned that there is sufficient oxygen present to
combust the fuel.  IOW, other way around.

GAS