[Diy_efi] WBO2 and AFR

gary gas-
Sun Jul 10 19:39:32 UTC 2005

I, Gary, do not claim to be an expert (as previously mentioned) as
I am not, nor do I consider my answers infallible.  Likewise, I do
not have a major interest in how my knowledge (or lack thereof),
of this topic is judged by others on this list.  I do however, have
an interest in the accuracy of the info posted on this list.  I also
have no problem recognizing the advanced engineering training
and experience of a Bruce B.  One can be in awe of the accuracy
of the knowledge obtained through the experiments/tests that
were conducted by the likes of a Haywood, Glasman, or a Taylor,
that have also stood the test of time.  In the context of this topic/
discussion, I have no issue with putting Bruce in the company,
of the likes of the above men.

Having stated the above, I still need to state the following.  Regard
less of the minor ?? differences of the various sources of WBO2 info,
in regards to influences (or lack thereof) of gases, or other factors
that affect the ultimate accuracy of the data the sensor sends to the
meter/controller, that although important, need to be put into proper
perspective.  By how much, would these 'influences' affect the
accuracy?

Not attempting to put a figure on it, but if we are concerned about a
couple of tenths (from say 12.5:1 to 12.8:1) we should be tuning on a
chassis dyno.  Personally, I'm more concerned about the consistency
from cylinder to cylinder.  The deviation can easily vary over a full
point (say from 13.0:1 to 14.0:1), depending on combination of the
components of the induction or any given engine design.  People,
this is more common than you may realize.  Therefore, I'm more
concerned, that if one bank (if using 2 sensors @ engine) is reading
12.7:1 collectively, is there one particular cylinder that is 13.7:1. To
do WB sensor testing/tuning with a respectable degree of precision,
it becomes necessary AFAIC, to incorporate a WB sensor in each
cylinder, as per competent pro race teams do.  How many go to
this much trouble/effort?  How many 'so called' tuning shops, don't
understand this?  Apparently, some on this list, be they professional
tuners and/or authors, do not.

GAS