[Diy_efi] Ignition Timing

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Tue Jul 26 22:03:52 UTC 2005

--- "Becker, Damon (Damon)" <damonb at avaya.com> wrote:

> Set MBT (by extapolation, I'm assuming) and let the
> knock sensing system handle it?  I'm not sure that's
> a good way.  The reason I'm not sure is the knock
> sensor requires actual knock to happen before it can
> sense it and respond.  If this happens too much
> before the response, then the knock might get
> quickly severe, right?

Except that response should happen within one or two
cycles of the engine.  Unless you suddenly transition
to heavy knock without any "in-between", it's terribly
unlikely to damage your engine.  Many factory
turbocharged vehicles seem to use this strategy
without issue.

> As for mapping every possible combination, you could
> map the combo you have that day and set the
> compensation maps to be conservative.

All of the things I mentioned are very dynamic during
operation of the vehicle.  I would expect it to be
damned difficult to map every possible combination to
get as close to MBT as possible without knock.

> Beyond that, you would have to rely on the knock
> sensor.

I don't udnerstand what the problem would be with that.

| Honda GL500 Interstate (Slug)    Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |