[Diy_efi] Ignition Timing

Geddes, Brian J brian.j.geddes
Tue Jul 26 23:33:44 UTC 2005

In my mind, relying on the knock sensor is an acceptable method iff you
assume that knock will start gently, and proceed to become more severe.
If severe knock were to occur without being preceded by light knock, by
the time the ECU pulled timing I would think you'd already have a good
possibility of holing a piston.

Am I wrong?  Does knock usually start light and become worse?  Are the
trends different for NA and boosted engines?  What about very high
(15-30 PSI) of boost?

- Brian Geddes