[Diy_efi] Possible method of partial repair of damaged O2 sensor (was designed for O2)

Jay Wallace wallkatt
Sat Jun 4 00:00:02 UTC 2005

At 01:04 PM 03-06-05, you wrote:
>At 12:14 AM 4/06/05, you wrote:
> >WARNING: boring non-efi technical stuff follows -  you have been warned <G>

Snip, snip, snip.... uh, PLEASE disregard my previous speculation.

I finally found a published paper (G Velasco et al 1983 J. Phys. E: Sci.
Instrum. 16 973-977) that gives the cause of leaded gas destruction of
oxygen sensors. It states:

"These types of devices can only be used with unleaded gasolines due to the
poisoning effects
of lead on the catalytic properties of the platinum electrode."

They don't give any data but it seems reasonable - Pb and its oxides are
known to be bad actors in contact with Pt. Unfortunately, this leads me to
the same conclusion: once Pb has come in contact with Pt, there is no easy
way of removing it.

There was no information given about extended life of heated sensors.

Sorry for the previous bit of misinformation regarding PbZrO3 formation.

Jay - it is safer to stay below the radar horizon, but I guess that I don't
need to tell Mike about that...