[Diy_efi] Making a fake O2

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Sat Jun 4 00:08:55 UTC 2005

--- jeff matthews <maple69vt at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a 1996 Miata and 2003 Prot?g?.  They both
> have the stock ECU's.  But because I get board
> around the garage they both are turbocharged.  They
> both need to run richer under boost.
> They both have piggy back fuel and timing controls,

Ahh.  THAT answered my question.  It's not the stock
ECU dealing with the boost, it's an outboard
controller.  I'm extremely surprised, especially with
the Miata, that you can open the throttle and
accelerate long enough to make boost, but not to
switch the ECU out of closed-loop.  A lot of engines
would go bang if you tried to run them that way, with
narrow-band closed-loop.

> but I don't run over 10psi either...Also on the
> prot?g? it had 2 cats and 2 O2's.

A NOx storage cat and a "regular" 3-way?  How can your
car pass emissions without the first cat in place?

>> I don't think there are any vehicles ever made
>> that operate in closed-loop mode while accelerating

> I believe that Later Porsche Turbo's (can't afford
> one so no clue what model) always run closed loop
> including WOT. Obviously not narrow-band O2
> targeting stoichiometric- but I thought it was
> interesting.

That could be, although the service life of the O2
sensors used would be very short, I'd imagine.  I
should have added "narrow-band" to the closed loop
comment, as that was what I meant.  My apologies for
not specifying.

I'd be interested in any additional information on
said Porsche Turbo, should anyone have access.

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |