[Diy_efi] Making a fake O2

Marc Reviel marc
Sat Jun 4 19:12:12 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Wade" <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 7:08 PM
Subject: RE: [Diy_efi] Making a fake O2

> --- jeff matthews <maple69vt at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a 1996 Miata and 2003 Prot?g?.  They both
>> have the stock ECU's.  But because I get board
>> around the garage they both are turbocharged.  They
>> both need to run richer under boost.
>> They both have piggy back fuel and timing controls,
>
> Ahh.  THAT answered my question.  It's not the stock
> ECU dealing with the boost, it's an outboard
> controller.  I'm extremely surprised, especially with
> the Miata, that you can open the throttle and
> accelerate long enough to make boost, but not to
> switch the ECU out of closed-loop.  A lot of engines
> would go bang if you tried to run them that way, with
> narrow-band closed-loop.

FYI, I am just finishing a prototype of a twin turbo upgrade for the Porsche
Boxster.  The test mule is a 1999 model, 2.5L, 11:1, no variable cam timing,
and last year before they went to e-throttle.  I designed it for
low-boost/earliest spool up - 2000rpm = 2.5psi, 2400 = 5psi. During
part-throttle/mild acceleration, it is almost always running positive boost,
and does remain in closed-loop. I have about 1200 miles heavy testing on it.
So far, no issues at all (not even a CEL). No piggyback stuff, stock ECU
programming.

-Marc

<snip>