[Diy_efi] Link for greenfire spark plugs...

Jared Ryan jryan
Wed Jun 8 21:36:23 UTC 2005

I agree, but what about on a wet manifold, like a GM TBI?

I am about to convert an '84 Chevy El Camino with a 305 and QuadraJet
to TBI, and I am considering testing a spacer that is supposed to make
swirl, to put some objective numbers on it... 1/4-mile ETs, 60-foot
times, etc.  I'm an amateur but I'm a natural tinkerer, so I'm curious.

I agree that the swirl would have no effect (and I doubt there would be
any swirl by the time the air reaches the ports) on a multiport engine
but I wonder if it helps any on a TBI engine.  My guess is that it all
depends on the exact engine/manifold setup.

I've enjoyed following this discussion, and I agree the "science"
behind these spark plugs looks very shaky.  My understanding (limited
though it is) is that once you start the flame, it spreads, period.
The only engines I know of where there was a big problem lighting off
the mixture was old gasoline engines with very big bores, like used on
Seagrave and LaFrance fire trucks before they switched to Diesel.  I
have heard they had two spark plugs per cylinder simply because the
bores were so big, to ensure complete ignition.  Unfortunately I have
not gotten to see such an engine taken apart.

Going back into lurk mode, enjoying the discussions. :-)

  ---> Jared Ryan <---
jryan at caminofx.org | http://www.caminofx.org
Yahoo!: gerhardr2001 | ICQ: 8457412