[Diy_efi] Link for greenfire spark plugs...

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Wed Jun 8 23:33:45 UTC 2005

--- Ernest Buckler <ebuckler at icehouse.net> wrote:

> Yeah, like the Hossack fork that BMW and every other
> manufacturer turned down and criticized - until
> Norman's patent's expired.

This is closer to an analogous issue, but is not
really.  A somewhat better front end design for a
niche motorcycle manufacturer would not be a cost
savings for them; it would simply be a design
advantage that would mainly go toward marketing, as
far as road-legal motorcycles go.  For this, BMW would
pay (some figure) in licensing per year of
manufacture.  They would almost certainly lose money
on the deal over waiting for the patent to expire.
Note that I do not condone undercutting those who
develop new technology without compensating them, but
BMW did what was most cost-effective for them, as any
economic juggernaut would tend to.

See my previous posting for why all OE manufacturers
of road-going vehicles (and as of January 1st,
off-road vehicles as well, at least in America) would
be well served to license the technology or purchase
the plugs outright, as it would be a clear cost
savings per vehicle and company-wide.

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |