[Diy_efi] Timing Calculations

Mark Higgins nospam
Mon Jun 13 21:35:53 UTC 2005

Hey, guys.  I'm new to the list, so I have no idea if this has been
discussed before.

I'm making my own EFI here.  It's a basic unit that will do 4 cylinder
sequential injection with direct fire.  Currently I'm working on
calculating the event timings (ignition and injector on/off) based on
the trigger inputs.  I'm basing the engine speed calculation off of the
time between sync/home trigger points.

Since my timing is all based on the previous engine cycle my question
is, is it worth it to try to anticipate acceleration/deceleration into
my timing, or is it negligable and not worth it?  Since the timing is
based on the last engine cycle, if the engine is decelerating very
quickly, I'm not certain how off the timing can get.  I should really
try and calculate the effect, but I'm hoping someone has already thought
through this already.

I was thinking of checking the trend of the last x number of cycles and
trying to anticipate whether the engine is accelerating or
decelerating.  It would never be perfect, but it would average the
timing out better.  Or maybe using the throttle sensor to anticipate
accelerationg/deceleration, kind of like a throttle pump, but for timing.

I think this anticipation scheme is probably overkill, but this ECU will
be controlling a road race engine and I was just trying to think of ways
of improving the timing and maybe transitional response.

Mark Higgins
DirtyLude