[Diy_efi] Timing Calculations

amdcpu amdcpu
Wed Jun 15 23:08:13 UTC 2005

Hi.
With 60 tooth-wheel you can count teeth. Every tooth is 6deg. If needed
advance would be 26deg BTDC
(26deg / 6deg/tooth) = 4tooth - 2deg BTDC.
When 5th tooth BTDC has triggered, we know that we must wait 6deg/tooth-2deg
= 4deg.
Lets assume: acceleration "doubles" speed every second (3sec from 1000 to
8000RPM) - which is pretty good. It is +360deg/sec = +0.36deg/ms. Means:
every next millisecond engine moves 0.36deg more than last millisecond.
If we could use 0.1sec old speed signal, would be 36deg off without
correction.
BUT even at slow engine (long trigger periods) let's say 600RPM one tooth
corresponds to as short as 1.67 ms, which is only 0.6deg (+0.36deg/ms x
1.66).
OK, our signal isn't that nice and we must average last 10 tooth, so advance
would be off 6deg @600RPM.
BUT we know also previous 10 tooth average, and therefore know the
acceleration.
If previous acceleration was our 6deg per 10tooth (16.7ms @600RPM), we can
predict that accel remains. Since our foot can stop acceleration in ca.
167ms and only 10% of it in 16.7ms.
This 10% * 6deg = 0.6deg.
WITH ACCELERATION PREDICTION, MAX ADVANCE ERROR WOULD BE 0.6DEG.

* When we decelerate by moving throttle 10%, then MAP becomes lower. In good
system ECU can see it in quickly. (measures MAP every 8ms in std MegaSquirt
firmware)
* When MAP becomes lower, lookup gets other advance figure from spark lookup
table.
Retarding 0.6deg deceleration bins and Advancing acceleration bins would
elliminate this quick acceleration change.

I can make mistakes, but think about it.

I'm pleased with just a 2 triggers per revolution.

Astrona