[Diy_efi] Air/Fuel meter now working! And L-jetronic

James Seabolt turbofiat
Thu Jun 16 11:03:54 UTC 2005

On the Yugo turbo...

I had reported awhile back that as my O2 sensor gradually warms, up, the
number of bars will start to increase. Then after a few minutes the
air/fuel meter gage is pegged out toward rich.

I pulled the O2 sensor and it was coated with soot. However I'm not fouling
sparkplugs.

I took a propane torch and tried to burn the soot off. I managed to do so
but it didn't seem to work. For some reason after putting 300 miles on the
car, the O2 sensor seems to have came back to life.

This car is carbureted by the way so I can't expect too much efficiency.

At idle the meter wanders between stoch, rich and lean and this corresponds
to the idle speed. Under deceleration the meter goes lean. But under
cruise, I've got one bar yet to light up and under acceleration all bars
are lit up.

In comparison to my dual carbureted Weber Spider would actually sit at
stoch at idle, and basically do the same thing under deceleration and
acceleration. You would think there would be more variation running dual
carburetors.

No doubt that I am probably running too rich since this car's original
1100cc engine got 40 mpg. I'm getting about 19 mpg with the 1500 Fiat motor
and the turbo. So I'm doubled the HP (55 to 115) and cut my fuel mileage in
half. My 1500 Fiat X 1/9 got 35 mpg but only made 75HP. So I don't know if
this is good or not.

This sounds like a good excuse to convert the car over to L-jetronic.

This engine came out of a 1981 Fiat X 1/9 which already had L-jetronic. I
have most of the pieces needed to do the swap but the X 1/9 is mid engined
and the Yugo is front wheel drive so the motor sits backwards so the speak.
What this means is if I used the X 1/9 wiring harness, it would place to
ECU behind the radiator.

I could use one from a Fiat Strada but those are like trying to find a
needle in a haystack these days. Perhaps import a wiring harness from a
Fiat UNO.

I could also fabricate my own wiring harness using the ECU connector but
there are like 60 wires and one wrong wire might fry the ECU.

So the question is, what other front wheel drive cars used L-jetronic I
could possible rob a wiring harness from?

James Seabolt
Tennessee, United States
Homepage --->>> http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/

2003 Subaru Baja
1980 FIAT 2000 "turbo" Spider
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (Not a Ford Galaxie!!)
1987 Yugo GV 1500cc also turbocharged