[Diy_efi] Air/Fuel meter now working! And L-jetronic

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Thu Jun 16 23:17:15 UTC 2005

--- Astrona <amdcpu at hot.ee> wrote:

> Have you seen pressure sensor in L-Jets? I haven't
> heard!

You're right.  I had thought they had AAP sensors
inside the ECU, but I cannot find one where that is
the case.  This is even worse, then, as it just
assumes a given air pressure, making the mixture even
cruder, especially when altitude changes.  And missing
an AAP sensor, there's no way to accomodate a turbo
without, say, an adjustable FPR or something to that
effect.  Wouldn't be nearly my first choice, getting
old hardware from a junkyard and trying to cobble it
together and make it work without destroying the
engine or turbo in the process.  And I think my
original point, that the regular L-Jet (or LE/LU) was
not used for turbocharged applications, and is not a
very good candidate for simple/quick adaptation to a
vehicle with an add-on turbo.

>> That is exactly my point.  Those are the same air
>> MASS, but the former will be seen as being only
>> half the flow by the VAF.

> Why only half???

Doubling the pressure doubles the density.  The same
volume flows past the sensor, but twice the mass does.

> Although analog ECU's didn't have ROMs, they had
> maps.  Mapped by resistors. ;)

That's not a map.

>> Almost, but not quite, as cylinder filling is not
>> always the same as what passes the MAF.

> Yeah, with different cam for example, the same
> pressure in manifold will end up different pressure
> in cylinder.

When speaking of a turbo application, the differences
based on engine speed and amount of boost would change
quickly, and be significant, and thus would need a VE
table based on boost and engine speed (unless you just
wanted to run pig-rich all the time without much precision).

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |