[Diy_efi] ECM for 1990 Nissan 240

Erik Jacobs emj14
Mon Mar 21 03:25:25 UTC 2005

Well, in Phil's defense chipping the Nissan computer is not the easiest.

However, it's not as difficult as he says.

You can basically modify the TechTom rom board that is for use with the SR20
computers to work with a KA.  It's been done before, it just requires some
thought and some knowledge of electronics.  If you were insane, you could
use the SR20 ECU and convert your KA to coilpacks.

Midnight Bullets is free FREE software that you can download which uses an
ECU binary in combination with an address file to edit the roms.  You need
to hack around on the ECU .bin in order to figure out what the addresses are
for the software.

There is also a program/tuning package called "LiveEdit" or something to
that effect which is, I believe, a ROM emulator and tuning software which
lets you make your changes on the fly using a laptop.  This prevents you
from having to do the old burn chip / dyno tune / change chip / burn chip
stuff and just tune on the dyno and then burn the results.

GM ECUs are definitely common and easy to program, however swapping to one
will require a custom harness or lots of modification to the existing KA
engine harness.  If you're very comforable with wiring and know the GM ECM
very well, it might be worth it to swap that route.  Do you think you'll be
able to get more tuning resolution out of a GM ECM than from the KA ECU?

Erik Jacobs
DGTrials / www.DGTrials.com
FestiveGarage / www.FestiveGarage.com