[Diy_efi] fuzzy logic

Phil Lamovie phil
Thu May 12 15:56:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

Some one asked about fuzzy logic the other day.

As an ECU designer it was of great interest to me when it first appeared
about 15 years ago or so.

 It was something that Motorola touted when the 68HC11 was first
offered to the non OEM market.

Try as I might I could not come up with an automotive use for it.

If you had two broom sticks that you wanted to balance end on end
it was the ducks guts. but...

Seriously; it's a very, very simple control algorithm that can be used
for something like fan speed control of a multi speed fan that only has
speed steps rather than continuously variable control.

It has inputs and tables and outputs  and not much else.

About 2 years later one of the Motorola staff released a full PID
controller that used about 180 lines of machine code and worked a treat.
It was quite capable of Class A power generation when used as a governor
control on a genset.

What were you hoping to do with the said fuzzy logic ?

I love to hear that you've found a use for it.

HTH

Phil